Research types of property to buy


Established property

Buying an established property generally means buying an older house, and maybe planning renovations and extensions.

Before you buy an established property to renovate, ask an architect, draftsperson or builder to report on the kind of work that is possible.

Even if you do not intend to renovate, a building inspection before you buy can identify repairs and maintenance requirements, and estimate the cost.

If building work has been carried out on the property in the past 10 years, check if these works were registered. You can do this by:

  • checking the vendor’s statement (also known as a Section 32), which should include these details
  • contacting the local council.

The quality and workmanship of registered building works are automatically covered by warranties from the builder. These warranties apply to the building work for 10 years, even if the property sells several times.

For more information, view our Building warranties, insurance and insolvency page.

Buying from an owner builder

An established property may have an owner-built house or include other building work by an owner builder. An owner builder is a person who:

  • used their own skills to build, extend or renovate their home
  • managed sub-contractors to do the work.

You can tell if a house is owner built, or has had work carried out by an owner builder, by:

  • checking the name of the builder on the building permit attached to the vendor’s statement (Section 32)
  • contacting the local council
  • contacting the Building Practitioners Board, at the Victorian Building Authority. The owner must also have a certificate of consent for work commenced since 2005.

If a property includes work carried out by an owner builder less than six years ago, the owner builder must provide a defects inspection report.

A copy of the owner’s certificate of insurance and the defects report will be attached to the vendor’s statement (Section 32).

For more information, view our Building warranties, insurance and insolvency page.

Flats, units or apartments

When looking at this type of property, consider:

  • Can you hear people walking and talking in other apartments? 
  • Can you smell cooking? 
  • Are you near the garbage bins or waste collection areas? Are there any odours? 
  • Is there a parking space on the title? If so, then check this matches the plan of subdivision and the contract of sale. 
  • What are the rules? Are you able to have pets?

If you are considering a strata-title property, find out about the owners corporation (formerly called the ‘body corporate’).

Strata title is individual ownership of a unit or apartment within a multi-unit complex. At settlement, you will receive a certificate of title for the unit you bought and become a joint owner of the common property (common areas shared by all the unit owners).

The unit owners are members of the owners corporation, which owns and manages the common property.

If you buy the property, you will be a member of the owners corporation. You will have the right to vote on decisions about the operation of the owners corporation and, among other responsibilities, must:

  • pay annual owners corporation fees, levies and charges
  • obey owners corporation rules. Rules may restrict renovations to the property, pet ownership and noise.

You can find out about the owners corporation by reviewing:

  • the owners corporation certificate attached to the vendor’s statement (Section 32). This has details of current fees, insurance cover and maintenance works carried out. It also details any proposed works, fee increases and any potential or existing legal claims affecting the property
  • the owners corporation manager’s details on the Business Licensing Authority’s public register of owners corporation managers
  • any contracts, agreements, leases or licenses affecting the common property
  • the minutes of the owners corporation’s annual general meetings 
  • the contract of sale.

If you are considering a strata title flat, unit or apartment, use our Buying an apartment or unit checklist.

You can find more information about how owners corporations work in ourOwners corporations section.

While the flat, unit or apartment you are considering will usually be strata title, some may be company title or stratum title. A legal practitioner or conveyancer will be able to advise on how the various types of title will affect your ownership, rights and responsibilities.

Vacant land

Before you buy vacant land, consider obtaining a soil test if you plan to build. This could avoid costly problems when you start excavation and building.

If rock must be excavated, or the site is a filled dam or on a flood plain, there will be extra costs associated with footings and foundations.

You can find more information about foundations, and display homes and land packages in our Building and renovating section.

Last updated: 17/06/2015






  • 检查供应商的说明(也称为第32),其中应包括这些细节





  • 用自己的技能,以新建,扩建或装修自己的家管理分包商做的工作。
  • 管理分包商做的工作。


  • 检查连接到供应商的声明建筑许可证的建设者的名字(第32)
  • 联系当地议会
  • 联系大厦管理委员会,在维多利亚时代的建筑事务监督。业主还必须为自2005年开始工作的同意证明。






  • 你可以听到人们步行和其他公寓说话?
  • 你可以闻到做饭?
  • 您附近的垃圾箱或者垃圾收集区?是否有任何的气味?
  • 是否有标题车位?如果是这样的话,检查此相匹配的细分计划和销售合同。 
  • 什么是规则?你能有宠物吗?





  • 每年支付业主立案法团费用,税金和费用服从业主立案法团的规则。规则可以限制装修的财产,宠物主人和噪音。


  • 业主立案法团证书安装到供应商的声明(第32)。这有现行收费,保险及维修工程进行了细节。它还详细介绍任何拟议工程,费用增加,影响物业的业主立案法团管理的细节上的业主立案法团管理人员的业务牌照事务处的公共登记任何合同,协议任何现有或潜在的法律索赔,租约或许可影响的共同财产分钟业主立案法团的年度股东大会的销售合同。
  • 对业主立案法团管理人员的业务牌照事务处的公众纪录册的业主立案法团管理器的详细信息
  • 任何合同,协议,契约或影响的共同财产许可证
  • 业主立案法团的年度股东大会会议记录
  • 该销售合同。